On April 4, 2022, the federal government stopped using the DUNS Number to uniquely identify entities. Now, entities doing business with the federal government use the Unique Entity ID created in

The Unique Entity ID is generated in If you are registered in (active or not), you already have a Unique Entity ID. It is viewable at If you are new to and will be registering for the first time, you will get your Unique Entity ID (SAM) during registration.

Providence Taxes include:

  • Real Estate Tax - If you own the property on which your business is located, you will be responsible for paying annual property taxes. Contact the Providence Tax Assessor for more information on how property is assessed and the Providence Tax Collector for payment deadlines and information.
  • Tangible Tax - Tangible taxes are assessed on the physical assets and inventory of your business. The tax bill reflects the assessment on assets and inventory for the prior year. (That is, the 2014 bill reflects 2013 assets and inventory.) Before completing the purchase of an existing business, ensure from the Assessor that taxes are current or it could make you liable for back taxes or delay the granting of a license. Additionally, the Assessor’s Office must be notified in writing whenever a business is closed, sold or renamed, to ensure that the tax bill is accurate.


The State of Rhode Island Division of Taxation is your starting point for finding out everything you need to know about business taxes in Rhode Island, including an online form to register your business.

This registration form can be used to register your business for the following:

  • Permit to make sales at retail
  • Income tax withholding account (including withholding for pensions or trusts)
  • Rhode Island Unemployment insurance account (including RI temporary disability insurance TD) and Rhode Island job development fund tax

Review the State of Rhode Island Tax Filing Requirements

Registering with the RI Division of Taxation does not create your business. In order to create a legal business entity, you must either register a Trade Name Certificate with the City of Providence or the fill the appropriate form with the Secretary of State's Office.


To meet U.S. Internal Revenue Code requirements, you will need a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) to identify your company. Before applying online, check with the Rhode Island Secretary of State to see if you also need a state number or charter.

Electronic Filing Options are available for business and self-employed taxpayers. View the IRS Tax Calendar for due dates and actions each month. Business taxes are described in detail on the IRS website.